While I was on my mission we were given the goal of reading 10 pages of scriptures a day. For me that was easy and I would generally read 20 pages a day. I did this because I'm a self righteous pig and want to be better than everyone around me, even though I'm very average. However, I am a good reader and reading 20 pages was not that hard for me. After my mission I tried to keep that up, but it was too much and I would finish the Book of Mormon once a year but that'd be by cramming in the last couple of weeks, generally after school was over. Later in life I figured out that if you read 5 scripture chapters/sections a day that you can finish the scriptures in a year, and still have time left over to read the Ensign, if you're diligent. Also, some of the chapters are just to long to read in a single day such as Jacob 5. After a while that became too hard and all I was really doing was trying to put in the reading time to stay on schedule. I finally came to the conclusion that what I needed to do was to read one chapter of the Book of Mormon a day and then 3 chapters a day of other scriptures. (I forgot that you needed to read 5 books and thought it was only 4.) Now I read one chapter of the Book of Mormon each day and some other chapters in other scriptures. However, I don't try to read them on any kind of a schedule I generally shoot for having a spiritual experience each day with the scriptures, although that doesn't always work it's a goal.
A few years ago I decided that I'd start rotating versions of the Bible each year as I read it. I think that I've read the RSV, and the ASV that way. This is how I used to pick the version of the Bible to read. I'd go the book store find an inexpensive version (read that as cheap) and then I would read John 3:13
13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. (KJV)
If it didn't have the phrase, or something close to "...son of man which is in heaven." I wouldn't get it. Pretty good standard right? By this standard I never read the NIV because it was always one of the most expensive versions of the Bible (and it doesn't have the phrase, but it was always disqualified before I got to that because of the cost). I've always thought that was a little weird. Many Bibles versions are basically given away for free, but not the NIV, they always want the cash laid out.
I'm rambling for a reason. I bought this iPod app called BibleReader by Olive Tree. I was looking for a Bible reading app that had that a Strong's concordance. This ended up costing me quite a bit of money because I noticed the the BibleReader app had a lot of Bible study features that I thought I'd like and I bought some packages of study materials, one of which had was called the NIV package, which included the NIV, the Todays NIV which is an update of the 1978 NIV, and the NIrV, where the 'r' stands for reader and it a simpler version of the NIV Bible for people who have trouble reading English. I don't know that I'm going to be reading those other NIV versions but I am reading the NIV Bible as my Bible Versions this time through.
It also has a number of study guides that you can get as well, and when you read the Bible it will sync your Bible with the study guide. It's pretty dang sweet.
As I mentioned one thing that I was especially looking for was a bible version with the Strong's Concordance associated with it. I didn't get the BibleReader Strong's Concordance because it was too expensive. However, I do now have to apps that do have the Strong Concordance. One is called Strongs. It is a free app. I also have the Touch Bible Loaded which is a paid app, and it has the KJV with Strong's Numbers. I guess that I bought it for that feature because I don't see another reason that I would have bought it.
No comments:
Post a Comment