I can certainly agree with that. The commentary talks about the different theories about who the "sons of God" and the "daughters of men" are, or what they are. I personally am willing to admit that there are things that I don't know and that this might be one of them. However, if I were forced to choose the theory I liked the best I would go with the "sons of God" are the descendants of Seth and the "daughters of men" were the descendants of Cain.
Gen 6:6 in the NIV is
6 The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain.
Gen 6:6 in the KJV is
6 And it repented the LORD that he had mad man on the earth, and it grieved him in his heart.
The commentary feels strongly enough about this that it takes the time to point out that "repented" in the KJV does not mean that the LORD changed His mind, because he is unchanging according to Mal 3:6. Apparently the Jews didn't know that and they used the wrong word once again, or in a way that we need to be warned not to misconstrue it.
The commentary says that this section shows the irony of Lamech prophecy because because God, instead of comforting mankind, is going to kill them. I don't know why they think that this is ironic. I guess they don't think that the righteous Jews in the Old Testament go to heaven. If I go to heaven after i die I expect that I will be comforted.
Gen 6:9 is a new tol'dot of Noah. I think that it's interesting that the last part of Adam's tol'dot talks about the corruption of society and then the new tol'dot starts off saying the same things. I suppose this emphasizes how corrupt mankind had gotten. I'd never noticed that before, probably because I'd never known about the tol'dot sections.
No comments:
Post a Comment