Saturday, March 12, 2011

Gospel Scholar?


For some reason people say that they think that I'm a gospel scholar.  I guess to some that might seem true, but I don't think that I am.  I think that I love reading and, thankfully, one of my favorite topics to read about is religion.  It would be like giving me credit for being 6-2.

I remember the first time someone intimated that I might be knowledgeable about the gospel.  I was a teenager and was talking with a young girl who was my age and I greatly respected her as a young woman who lived the gospel.  And was a seminary graduate.  I remember that somehow the conversation got around to me wondering about how Joseph must have felt when he translated the prophecy that he would be bringing forth the Book of Mormon.  She didn’t know what I was talking about and I told her that I was sure that it was there and that she should look it up.  She did and wrote me a nice note telling me where it was found and then saying that she thought that I knew more about the gospel than she did and she thought I was a good person.  I can’t remember exactly how I reacted to this, but it must have been positive because it is something that I remember to this day.


The second time I remember something like this happening was on my mission when my zone leaders came to me and said that they had a question that they wanted to ask me since I was a gospel scholar.  I was a shocked that they thought that I was a gospel scholar but I said I'd do my best to answer their question. They wanted to know why Jesus had to be crucified. The only thing I could think of is that it was prophesied that he would be crucified, and it is one of the worst ways to die, if not the worst way.  That of course isn’t really an answer and they weren’t  satisfied either.

That question stayed with me from that time on.  Why did Jesus have to be crucified?  A few years ago I got the question answered for me.  On one of the religious forums that I used to participate on some of the participants decided that we would read a book together.  See that’s one of the good things about being LDS we can read other religious writers and be enlightened by them.

The book that we decided to read was The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel.  Apparently this is a very popular book.  I didn’t like it that much, except for one part.  The author talked about how not only was it a miracle that Jesus was resurrected but it would have been a miracle for him to have been simply healed and active three days later.  The Romans, and the Jews, did their very worst to Jesus and yet he came back back after three days.  If you can’t kill someone what else can you do to them?  That hit me powerfully and because of it I was glad to have read the book.

I don’t consider myself a gospel scholar, I just love reading and finding these nuggets that resonate with me, and when I get a chance I love to share the nuggets.  Hopefully this will be a place to share those nuggets.

No comments:

Post a Comment