Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Cool Juxtaposition

When I was reading in Genesis 14 where the account is given of Abram meeting with Melchizedek.  As I pointed out in a previous posting, this is one of those chapters in the OT where the light on new revelation has given us further insights.

The BKC is limited to just the Bible, so it is somewhat perplexing to try and explain how Jesus can be a “High Priest after the order of Melchisedec.”  They attempt to do it by linking Jesus back to David who set up Jerusalem as his capitol which is where Melchizedek was also king.  The also say that the the order of Melchizedek must be "superior" to the order of Levi because Abraham paid tithes to him.  Lets just say that I’m glad for modern revelation in the case of Melchizededk. 

I was reading a book about the Book of Revelation, called “The Opening of the Seven Seals.”  It was a pretty good book.  I’ve been thinking a lot about the signs of the times lately, and actually bought two other books about it, but I didn’t like them.  Then I found this book which I knew I had, and had started reading, then stopped for whatever reason.  I started reading it again.  I got to the part that talks about the Seventh Angel rising, and the section in the D&C that talks about this angel being an Elias “if you will receive it” (D&C 77:9).  I’ve never really understood this before.  The book on Revelation quotes classic paragraph by Eld. Bruce R. McConkie (at least I've read it in a couple different places) talking about John the Baptist being an Elias, this angel being an Elias, Joseph Smith is an Elias, and Elias is supposed to return to the temple before the Second
Coming.  What’s going on here?

After reading that and thinking about how the BKC handles Melchizedek in the Bible, I thought “Am I a Melchizedek?”  Well yes in a way I am a Melchizedek.  I hold an office in the Priesthood that is named after him.  Why couldn’t it be the same with Elias.  The office could be called the Elias office like a Bishop.  Anyway it all came clear to me and I seemed to understand it a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment